Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

What's happening to Charlie Bone? Charlie doesn't want to believe it when he discovers that he can hear the thoughts of people in photographs. But his horrible aunts are delighted – it means that he is one of the chosen and must attend the Bloor's Academy for gifted children. Once there, Charlie realizes that some of his classmates have equally mysterious powers, and soon Charlie is involved in uncovering the mysterious past of one of them.  Book One in The Children of the Red King series!

I listened to the audio book on this one. I hate to always compare books to others, but as I was listening I could not help but see some similarities in this book that I have previously seen in Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket. This book reminded me of Harry Potter in which the characters have special powers, for example Charlie can hear photographs and he attends a school in which others have powers as well. It reminded me of Lemony Snicket in the fact that this story was dark, several menacing mean people overpower the others.  A dark mystery enveloping more dangerous situations than positive or light-hearted ones.
Even with his hermit-like behavior Charlie's uncle Peyton was my favorite character. 
I know that there are already several books out in this series and am interested to see what direction the other books will take Charlie in. 
 

Comments

  1. Anonymous6/24/2011

    i love your books they are amazingg xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?