Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11280254-cinder-and-ella Description from Goodreads.com
After their father’s disappearance, Cinder leaves home for a servant job at the castle. But it isn’t long before her sister Ella is brought to the castle herself—the most dangerous place in all the kingdom for both her and Cinder. Cinder and Ella is a Cinderella story like no other and one you'll never forget.

I began reading this after dinner, like any other day, and before I even realized it I saw it was 1 AM. I was still about half an hour from finishing but my eyes started to droop and I wanted to enjoy the ending. I dreamt a beautiful dream that night and found myself waking early to finish it before work the next morning. At still found myself thinking about it all day, and made it through that day just fine, even with my lack of sleep.
I found this story completely magical, it drew me in right at the beginning and had me hooked.
After their father is spelled and leaves the family Cinder and Ella take over the taking care of the household as the mother becomes lost in her spinning. They have awful selfish sisters that really are too much to handle even for the two older sisters. Cinder eventually takes a job at the castle and Ella no longer able to handle the household herself, finds herself a job outside of the home.
The Prince, upon finding the news that Ella is working elsewhere sends his knights to find her and bring her back to him at the castle. And from there adventure, spells, evil vs good all appears.
As I read I could not help myself from picturing this story as an older Disney cartoon playing out in my head. The description of the characters, land, castle and feelings where that good, it just all played out in my head. This story takes a darker turn than other retellings and overall I was really impressed with this story. I highly enjoyed it and it's more dangerous tone. After all not everybody can have the happy ending.

Comments

  1. I had this one to review from Netgalley but didn't get to read it in time.. I think I had read the first chapter and ran out of time but loved the start of it... Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?