Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter



Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone


The first book in the series, The Goddess Test , there were a lot of things I took into consideration. Firstly that it was the first book in the series, so we needed to get introduced to the world and the characters. I find that a lot of the time I find the first books in a series is just ok. After reading the goddess test I decided to read other books that take on the Hades and Persephone myth, such as Abandon by Meg Cabot and Everneath by Brodi Ashton. With the comparisons I then decided that The Goddess Test was actually my favorite of them with Everneath a close second.
I decided this story was one that I wanted to continue with, although I had a huge issue in the first book about how Henry seems to just take a back seat on issue's and does not in any way, shape or form present to me how I think Hades should be. Strong, determined and yes powerful. He came off as really weak and silly, I wanted him to really stand out, but instead it's Kate that acts more like a leader than any other character, and by her strength she really makes Henry look depressing.
I was hoping that Henry's behavior in book one was just part of the tests they were putting Kate through, that he had to pretend to be weak so that she could prove herself, but yet again here in book two, he just comes off as really weak to me. But in contrast Kate really stands out. She becomes a bad ass and admirable person for standing up and fighting back. I love this about her.
The beginning of the story really starts out strong and for the first 40% I couldn't stop reading. It drops a little bit in the middle and focuses more on family and the romance. But then, the ending! OMG that ending. I just want to stomp my foot like a kid and yell "it's not fair" And with that the author has me hooked yet again to see what happens next!
I really wanted to give it 4 stars but I felt that there was just a little bit to much down time in the middle of the book after so much action happened, and the lack of development of Henry's character. So yet again I think I'm going to give it 3 stars in my book, although closer to 4 so 3.5

Maybe somebody who is more familiar with the original Hades and Persephone story can help me out here, is Hades supposed to be the weaker one in the relationship, or do you think the author is taking some creative interpretation for a teen YA novel to produce a strong female lead character? What are your thoughts?



Comments

  1. Looking forward to this! I didn't realise until you said it, but I've always envisioned Hades to be a more dominant sort. Lord of the Underworld and all. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?